Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Health
Hannah Ryan

Hunt border claims 'rubbish': NSW premier

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has slammed Health Minister Greg Hunt's border comments as "rubbish". (AAP)

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has derided the federal health minister's warning that mass vaccination won't lead to the borders opening as "the biggest load of rubbish I ever heard".

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt cautioned last Tuesday that international borders could stay closed even if the whole country were vaccinated.

"That's the biggest load of rubbish I ever heard," Ms Berejiklian told reporters on Tuesday.

"The vaccination program will change our lives. The vaccination program will allow us to live with COVID in a better way," she said.

Asked if she had communicated her views on Mr Hunt's statement to the prime minister, the premier responded: "That's a private matter for me."

Ms Berejiklian's government has been urging for a more flexible rollout, and particularly for vaccination of over-50s to be brought forward.

She said on Tuesday that 2.9 million of the 6 million adults in NSW were over 50. The health advice is for those under 50 to get the Pfizer over the more plentiful AstraZeneca vaccine because of clotting risks.

"That's still a lot of people to get vaccinated," she said.

Ms Berejiklian also waved away concerns that a positive test for an Auckland airport worker could burst the trans-Tasman travel bubble.

A manageable "case or two" should not impede the opening up of borders, she said.

A "managed outbreak should be dealt with and life moves on."

NSW vaccinated 3881 people in the 24 hours to 8pm on Monday, bringing the total number jabbed by the state to 177,733.

Three new cases were diagnosed in hotel quarantine in that same period.

Investigations are continuing into how the virus jumped between adjacent hotel rooms at the Adina Apartment Hotel at Sydney's Town Hall earlier this month. No further transmission has been identified, NSW Health.

One COVID-19 patient continues to be treated in intensive care.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.