Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Edinburgh Live
Edinburgh Live
National
Sian Traynor

Hundreds of Edinburgh students have returned to halls despite lockdown warning

Hundreds of Edinburgh University students have returned to their accommodation from all over the country.

As Scotland continues to follow strict lockdown rules, groups of students have come back to their halls, despite the university operating online-only.

Over the weekend, a member of staff at one of the accommodation buildings told Edinburgh Live that around 160 people had arrived at Pollock Halls, ignoring lockdown rules to 'stay at home'.

They added: "I won't be returning to work until I know it's safe".

Under lockdown restrictions, 'stay at home' advice is now law, with people to only leave their homes for an essential journey.

It is also only permitted to leave your local authority area if you are also making an essential trip.

As Scotland reaches a second peak, coronavirus cases in Edinburgh and hospital admissions remain high, with 194 recorded on Monday (January 11).

In response to the student arrivals, Edinburgh University have urged their students not to return to campus until it is safe.

A spokesman for the University of Edinburgh said:

"We are aware that some students are making plans to return to Edinburgh even though their on-campus teaching isn't imminent. To keep everyone safe and help stop the spread of the virus, we are advising students not to return until they’ve been told on-campus teaching will resume.

"Other than for specific circumstances, undergraduate and postgraduate taught learning will take place online until further notice."

It comes as Scots could face a tightening of lockdown rules this afternoon with Nicola Sturgeon set to announce the results of a review.

The cabinet is meeting this morning to discuss the need for any tightening of coronavirus restrictions, with any changes to be announced this afternoon.

The First Minister indicated yesterday that click and collect services for non-essential retail shops could be one area to face a rule change.

Speaking yesterday she said: "I'm not trying to shy away from saying, because I said it last week, the kind of issues we will be looking at.

"Do we have to tighten up to reduce the number of people that are moving around any further? And I talked last week about reducing perhaps click and collect to essential retail only to maybe looking at putting further restrictions on takeaway.

"We've not reached decisions on these things yet, but these are the kinds of things we'll be considering at our meeting tomorrow and then I'll set out any decisions that we reach in the normal way."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.