WASHINGTON _ The House Ethics Committee announced Friday that it has opened an investigation into Rep. Ruben Kihuen. Two women have accused the Nevada Democrat of sexual harassment.
Kihuen has welcomed an investigation, saying in a statement earlier this week, "I believe in transparency. If Ethics wants to look at it, I welcome an opportunity to clear my name."
Two weeks ago, BuzzFeed News reported that a former Kihuen campaign staffer had rebuffed multiple advances and said he touched her without her consent. On Wednesday night, the Nevada Independent reported that a female lobbyist had received persistent and unwanted advances from Kihuen, through hundreds of text messages, and was also touched without her consent.
Top congressional leaders, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Democratic Congressional Campaign Chairman Ben Ray Lujan, have called on Kihuen to resign.
He has refused, saying the DCCC and Pelosi were aware of the first accuser's allegations when he was running for Congress last year. The woman said she informed a midlevel DCCC staffer. Pelosi and Lujan have said through spokespeople that they were not aware.
Kihuen has yet to say whether he will run for re-election in the competitive Nevada district. Inside Elections with Nathan L. Gonzales rates the race Likely Democratic.