
Canberra's hospitality industry says it's been left blindsided by a sudden tightening of coronavirus restrictions.
The the new rules, which came into force on Wednesday morning, say patrons must to be seated at all times except when it is unreasonably impractical - such as entering a venue, ordering food or drink at the bar or going to the bathroom.
Australian Hotels Association ACT general manager Anthony Brierley said he understood the changes to public health directions meant playing pool, changing the music on a jukebox, or standing and chatting with a soft drink in any venue that served food or drink were now all banned.
Previously, the directions only required patrons to be seated in a licensed venue while consuming alcohol.
Industry groups say the change came without warning or consultation, or explanation about the health reasons for the change.
However the chief health officer has since move to quell fears it would ban activities like playing pool.
Mr Brierley said he was dumbfounded by the changes.
"They place a significant additional regulatory burden on struggling hospitality businesses, in the same month that the ACT government's taxation waiver for our industry is scheduled to end," he said.
"It is utterly perplexing about why the restrictions are being tightened at this point in time.
"The ACT has gone nearly two months without a COVID-19 case.
"That indicates that the previous restrictions were working."
He said he had reached out to public health officials but had received "radio silence" in response.
He said the Dr Coleman had previously been advising licensed hospitality venues that dancing was permitted at weddings.
"Unfortunately, the new restrictions now make this impossible," Mr Brierley said.
"We would welcome an explanation from the ACT government about why restrictions needed to be tightened without any engagement or rationale, but we won't be holding our breath."
The change in directions also legally obliges all non-essential businesses to record the first name and number of anyone entering the venue for contact tracing purposes.
While Mr Brierley said he had not received any explanation or clarification of the new rules, on Thursday afternoon the chief health officer's office told The Canberra Times she would not ban playing pool or similar activities.
"The change does not mean that people cannot play pool or darts - that would be impracticable," a spokeswoman said.
"However, we would ask that individuals remain within their social networks and groups whilst participating in these activities, and once finished return to their seats."
"Patrons have always been asked to remain seated whilst eating and drinking in hospitality venues.
"This seeks to avoid the movement and mingling of patrons between social groups, which can significantly increase the risk of transmission. There was a slight change to the wording of the direction to clarify this existing requirement."