The human remains of a " fetus or infant" have been discovered in a freezer at a Boston flat by horrified cleaners, say police.
Police were called to 838 East Broadway in South Boston on Thursday after reports of a fetus found in a freezer following a call from concerned cleaning staff who made the grim discovery.
However, 24 hours later on Friday, Boston Police Department confirmed the discovery of “what appeared to be additional human remains" in the freezer.
Cops were first called to the block of flats on Thursday at around 2pm after they received a call to investigate the apartment, according to Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.
And when police arrived and looked inside the freezer 'human fetus or infant' was found after a tip-off by worried cleaning staff.
According to reports, another box was located and contained human remains which has been sent off for further examinations.
The block of flats were roped off and investigators spent Friday collecting vital evidence as the horror discovery has left the local community horrified.
Neighbour Katie Reill told News25: "Never would have expected something like that to happen around here."
A flatmate, who lives in the building, said a cleaning crew found the boxes of bodies and immediately contacted police.
It is thought the discovery was made after cleaners were brought in to get one of the flats ready for a new tenant but when they started to clean the freezer the grim remains were found.
Investigations are continuing into the discovery with no arrests made so far, police said.
The horrific discovery comes just days after a toddler in Geneva, New York, starved to death after his dad suffered a fatal heart attack.
David Conde Jr, 2, died in February this year after his dad Conde Sr, 59, suffered a fatal heart attack as the result of cardiovascular disease.
Police said in a statement: "It is believed that Mr Conde passed away first, and the child was not able to obtain any nourishment after his father passed."
The dad was found dead in the cold flat with his son nearby as concerned family members contacted police after not hearing from Mr Conde for a week.