Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Max McKinney

Honeysuckle foreshore park reopens after $4.2m overhaul

Pictures: Supplied

A rejuvenated public domain along Honeysuckle's foreshore has been reopened to the public following a $4.2 million makeover.

Work on Honeysuckle Park, as the area between the Lume Apartments and Newcastle Harbour is now known, wrapped up in the past few days.

The waterfront land has been off limits to the public for more than two years.

The expanded public domain features sandstone seating at the harbour's edge, shelters with picnic tables and seats, covered barbecue facilities and a maritime-themed play area.

Banksias, tuckeroos and pines have also been planted through the park.

"This is an amazing public space on the waterfront which locals and visitors to Newcastle can enjoy," NSW Minister for Planning and Public Spaces, Rob Stokes, said on Friday.

"It forms part of the city's 11-kilometre harbour and beach walk from Throsby Creek to Merewether beach, which will be one of the best public walks in NSW."

Honeysuckle Park was built as part of a broader $55 million infrastructure and public domain works program in Honeysuckle.

Works completed to date include the realignment of Honeysuckle Drive, installation of a new bridge over Cottage Creek, road and footpath upgrades and a seawall stabilisation project.

The shared path in the park will ultimately reconnect to the existing harbourside path through Wickham once additional state-owned land in Honeysuckle's west is developed in coming years.

Parliamentary secretary for the Hunter, Taylor Martin, said the shared path was wider than its predecessor.

"Opening more quality public space right on the waterfront is an exciting outcome for the Hunter community as we finalise the planning for Honeysuckle," he said. "Walkers, runners and cyclists will no doubt love the extension of the waterfront promenade."

Honeysuckle Park was designed and delivered in response to community feedback on the Honeysuckle Public Domain Concept Plan released in 2019.

The Hunter and Central Coast Development Corporation is preparing to offload the last remaining state-owned land in Honeysuckle. There are two parcels either side of Honeysuckle Drive. One is harbourside while the other includes the former Wickham School of Arts.

An engagement report released earlier this year envisions the land being used for developments that attract people, are architecturally significant, have public spaces and recognise heritage.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.