Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Max McKinney & SAGE SWINTON

Homes teeter on the edge at Wamberal after beach erosion

Pictures: Klayte McSweeny

Homes came under direct threat and some were badly damaged by whopper seas at Wamberal on the Central Coast over the weekend.

At least two homes partially collapsed on Saturday morning after waves continued to gnaw away the land behind and underneath the beachside residences.

The erosion hot spot had been pounded by surging seas in the days prior with police evacuating about 30 houses on Ocean View Drive on Friday as a precaution.

Klayte McSweeny flew a drone over the area on multiple occasions over the course of the past week and said he was shocked at how much land had washed away.

"I would say it's moved more than six metres of sand in a few days," he said.

"It was just crazy."

Central Coast mayor Lisa Matthews has called an extraordinary council meeting for Monday night to receive a "thorough public update" on beach erosion that has occurred at both Wamberal and The Entrance North.

Some residents took matters into their own hands over the weekend with a crane brought in to lift concrete blocks onto Wamberal beach in front of a beachside house and earth-moving equipment spotted on the sand at The Entrance North.

DAMAGE: A beachfront house in Wamberal on Sunday. Multiple homes were at risk, with at least two partially collapsing. Pictures: Facebook

Both beaches remain closed to the public.

Elsewhere, Stockton and Jimmys Beach were looking worse for wear on Sunday after significant erosion over the past few days. Sand was also stripped from Merewether beach exposing rocks not seen in years.

Stockton resident Ron Boyd said it had been "sad to see the situation of this week" and "loss of amenity".

Walking along Stockton beach on Sunday, he said it was looking "pretty bad".

"There's been about two to four metres of retreat of the scarp all the along the beach," he said.

"The whole area is blocked off. The access points have got about a three-metre drop that is quite dangerous. The sand-bagging is holding up OK but it's being out-flanked on the edges.

"Realistically there is a plan to get on top of it in the longer term, but not much to ameliorate the situation in the shorter term."

At Jimmys Beach, where tonnes of sand has washed away this week, Winda Woppa Association president Mike Thew said the erosion had thankfully not worsened further on Friday night but the beach was in a bad state.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.