Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Marc McLean

Homeless cases rise in Dumfries and Galloway

Nearly three people per day are seeking emergency homeless accommodation in Dumfries and Galloway.

And the council’s housing chiefs warn that the situation is going to get worse due to furlough ending, Universal Credit cuts, and the removal of restrictions on evictions.

A total of 390 homeless cases were recorded by Dumfries and Galloway Council in the first 153 days of this financial year – which equates to a rate of 2.54 per day.

“It’s a matter of great concern,” said council leader Elaine Murray.

She added: “Evictions were banned in levels three and four during the lockdowns, however that ban has lifted across Scotland as the whole country moved out of the higher levels and into level zero.

“Unfortunately, that means that there was an increase in the numbers of people facing eviction for non-payment of rent etc.

“This will be exacerbated as incomes are reduced by the removal of the uplift in Universal Credit and increasing energy, fuel and food prices.”

However, if it wasn’t for the efforts of council housing and welfare support staff, the homeless figures would be considerably higher.

A homeless update report tabled at the communities committee this week explains: “The ongoing work of the housing options staff who have dealt with a further 241 homeless prevention cases so far in 2021/22 and welfare and housing options team who have successfully prevented 133 cases progressing to eviction, needs to be considered.

“Without that proactive work the level of presentations would be significantly higher.”

There had already been a rise in homeless cases last year, but the latest update shows that even more people are reaching out to the council with nowhere to stay.

As of August 31, there had been 390 homeless applications for emergency accommodation, compared to 375 during the same period last year.

The council report, produced by financial wellbeing and revenues officer Lorna Campbell, continued: “It is anticipated that demands for housing options prevention work and homeless presentations will continue to be high over the coming months.

“With the ending of restrictions on eviction proceedings across the public and private sector at the end of September and the economic impacts of furlough ending and benefit changes due to the removal of the additional Universal Credit allowance will put many families and households under pressure, therefore leading to increased demands on the service.”

Dr Murray, the council leader, pointed out that the authority has no homes for let – the council stock was transferred to DGHP back in 2003 – but is recommissioning housing support services including help for young people and people with mental health and addiction issues.

She said: “Additional funding was agreed by the communities committee for housing support.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.