Jan. 14--The boil water order in north suburban Highwood has been lifted, city officials said Wednesday morning.
The boil order had been in effect since Tuesday morning after a water main break on Monday afternoon left some 5,400 residents without water.
Though water service was restored early Tuesday, the boil order was issued while water samples were sent to be tested for hazardous bacteria, officials said.
On Wednesday morning, the samples were said to be clear of contaminants and the boil order was lifted.
Most of Highwood was without water for hours Monday after a water main broke at Sheridan Road and Webster Avenue, according to officials.
The break occurred in the main transmission line that carries water from Highwood's water treatment facility to its water tower, said Jeff Harding, Highwood's water treatment director. As a result of the break, all of the water in the tower was lost, Harding said. Water service was shut off about 2:30 p.m. Monday, city officials said in a statement
Service was restored about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday. Highwood officials issued a boil water order overnight Monday.
The advisory was a "precautionary measure" for when water service is restored, according to a statement. Any water used for drinking, cooking, brushing teeth or washing dishes should be boiled for at least five minutes prior to use.
The city is using its Facebook page to update residents.
gtrotter@tribpub.com
Twitter @NorthShoreTrib