Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Graeme Thomson

Hero cop David Whyte released from hospital after Glasgow hotel stabbing

The hero police officer stabbed during the knife rampage at the Park Inn Hotel in Glasgow has been released from hospital.

Constable David Whyte, 42, was badly injured as he confronted knifeman  Badreddin Abadlla Adam last Friday afternoon when he raced to the hotel in West George Street.

The 28-year-old asylum seeker from Sudan was shot dead by armed cops soon afterwards after stabbing six people.

Pictures from the scene show Constable Whyte being treated for his wounds by colleagues.

He was then rushed to hospital where his condition was initially described as critical.

Medics then stabilised his condition and he has now recovered enough to return home.

PC David Whyte and his wife Carol have been married for a decade (UGC)

As he left hospital the married dad-of-two said: “I would like to thank the medical staff at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for saving my life and getting me back to where I am today.

“I feel incredibly lucky being able to leave hospital less than a week after the incident.

“I would also like to thank everyone at Police Scotland for their support and also the thousands of people who have sent warm wishes from around the world over the last few days.

“There is no doubt that I face a long road to recovery but I am absolutely determined to be back on duty as soon as I possibly can.

“I have no further comment to make and would again ask the media not to approach myself, my family or friends and to please respect the privacy I need to complete my recovery.”

Image posted on social media by Carol Whyte, the wife of hero cop David Whyte (UGC)

We previously told how PC Whyte's wife Carol, an NHS theatre nurse, raced to Glasgow from the couple’s home in Irvine after being told of the horror attack.

The mum of two later posted a poignant image on social media of a blue police line with the words: “Because he’s mine, I hold this line.”

The couple, who have been married for a decade, have already faced a tough few months after key worker Carol was diagnosed with Covid-19 in April and later recovered. The pair have two daughters, Billie, 19, and Lea, 12.

Four other men injured in the West George Street stabbing incident remain in hospital. Three are in a stable condition and one is critical but stable.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.