Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Gavin Cordon, PA & Brett Gibbons

Heathrow Airport flights could be diverted amid passenger queue fears

Heathrow has warned flights may have to be diverted to other airports if the build-up of passenger queues becomes too great.

The airport has reacted with fury after the UK Border Force claimed last week that passengers arriving in the UK should be prepared for long waits as foreign travel resumes from May 17.

Border Force director-general Paul Lincoln said it could take up to 15 times longer to process people than before the coronavirus pandemic because of extra checks required.

In a statement, a spokesman for Heathrow insisted that such delays were “unnecessary and completely avoidable” if extra resources were put in place to deal with the additional checks.

Travel latest for Europe

However, he confirmed that there were “protocols in place” to divert flights or to hold passengers on planes if the build-up becomes too great.

“Instead of telling passengers to brace themselves for a long wait in immigration queues, Border Force should step up its efforts to automate checks for green list countries, and put in place additional resource for passengers where manual checks might be needed,” the spokesman said.

“Accepting delays is a further demonstration of complacency from them on the matter.

"There are protocols in place to hold passengers on planes or divert them to other airports, to prevent excessive, unnecessary and completely avoidable queues in immigration halls.”

The Home Office said teams were being mobilised to minimise queues but insisted that protecting public health had to be top priority.

A spokeswoman said: “Protecting public health is our priority and as we reopen international travel safely we will maintain 100 per cent health checks at the border to protect the wider public and our vaccine rollout.

“While we do this, wait times are likely to be longer and we will do all we can to smooth the process, including the rollout of our e-Gate upgrade programme during the summer and deploying additional Border Force officers.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.