Lawrence Shankland has been tipped to break the 30 goal mark at Hearts this season by club legend John Robertson after his record strike against Hibs.
Robbie Neilson worked hard to bring the Scotland international to Tynecastle this summer and his stand-in skipper has repaid the faith shown to get him on board by firing his 20th goal of the campaign in stunning fashion in the Edinburgh Derby Scottish Cup triumph over the Hibees at Easter Road.
Shankland became the first striker since Tynecastle hero Robbo to break the 20 goal barrier and matched the record set 31-years ago with plenty of football to come this season with it only being January. Josh Ginnelly and Toby Sibbick both also hit the target to secure a last 16 clash at Hamilton Accies and maintain the fine form the capital club have shown since the World Cup shutdown return.
READ MORE: Three things we learned as Hearts show ruthless streak in Edinburgh derby victory against Hibs
Sign up to Edinburgh Live newsletters for more headlines straight to your inbox
The Hearts icon said: “Massive congratulations to Lawrence — what a season he’s having!
“I’m delighted he has smashed the 20-goal mark and have no doubt he will get more than 30 as well.
“I hope he goes on to break every record going. All I want is success for him and Hearts.”
Speaking about the big history-making moment, Neilson added: “The first person to text me today was Robbo, asking for Lawrence’s number. I’m not sure whether to congratulate or warn him to stay away from his other records!
"31 years is a long time and it shows the kind of quality you need to have to be able to do it for Hearts.”
- Lee Johnson makes Hibs pressure vow as boss will 'stick it out' in defiant derby defeat response
- Hibs player ratings vs Hearts as Aiden McGeady impresses amid Scottish Cup derby defeat
- Hibs 0 Hearts 3 three things we learned as Lee Johnson's men dumped out Scottish Cup
- Hearts player ratings as Jambos prove clinical in derby triumph with Lawrence Shankland making history
- Robbie Neilson sets Lawrence Shankland lofty Hearts goal target amid 'flattered' derby victory claim