
A Victorian health department staffer is being investigated by police after allegedly leaking Victoria's COVID-19 roadmap.
Victoria Police confirmed on Thursday a referral had been made by a government department over "unauthorised access of information".
"This matter is being investigated by the E-Crime Squad and as this investigation is ongoing, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time" it said in a statement.
The Department of Health and Human Services said it was aware of an employee allegedly breaching the public service code of conduct.
The worker had been tasked with broad administrative assistance.
The Herald Sun published a comprehensive overview of easing restrictions on September 3, three days before they were due to be announced.
Premier Daniel Andrews dismissed the leaked document detailing the roadmap plans as "out of date", while Victorian Deputy Chief Health Officer Allen Cheng said it was "a working draft from some time ago".
Most of the details were correct.
The Victorian opposition took aim at the state government on Thursday, labelling the probe a "witch-hunt".
"The increasingly desperate, dysfunctional and secretive Andrews Labor government will do anything it can to stop Victorians from knowing the truth," shadow attorney-general Edward O'Donohue said.
"Rather than a witch-hunt, Daniel Andrews should be focused on saving the small businesses he's smashed and the families he has destroyed because of his hotel quarantine COVID-19 second wave."