Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Andrew Brown

Health authorities issue warning as dust storm hits Canberra

ACT health authorities have warned asthma sufferers to take precautions after another dust storm hit Canberra on Tuesday.

Raised dust levels were seen across the ACT early in the afternoon and are expected to last until the early evening.

The Bureau of Meteorology has also issued a severe weather warning for Canberra and the wider region.

Severe thunderstorms are expected to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in the ACT.

Canberra Airport recorded a 89 km/h wind gust at 12.07pm.

The dust storm has been driven by the strong winds, bringing dust from western NSW.

Air quality levels in parts of the ACT have been labelled very poor at the Florey air quality station.

Air quality at stations in Civic and Monash has been labelled poor, as of 1pm.

An ACT health spokesman said while most people won't experience any health impacts, those at risk of asthma were advised to stay indoors.

"People who are more sensitive to dust in the air, particularly those with asthma and other heart and lung conditions, should be aware and take precautions," the spokesman said.

"This includes taking medication as prescribed by their doctor, limiting time spent outdoors and avoiding vigorous exercise."

A dust storm was seen over Canberra late last week, after strong winds lashed the capital.

Dust seen over Canberra last week, with similar conditions returning on Tuesday. Picture: Sagi Biderman
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.