Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Simon Burnton

‘He needs time away’: England coach Silverwood drops Sibley for third Test

Dom Sibley
Dom Sibley has paid the price for a prolonged spell of poor form. Photograph: Zac Goodwin/PA

Dom Sibley has been dropped from the England squad for the third Test against India at Headingley next week, with the team’s head coach, Chris Silverwood, admitting the batsman “needs some time away to regain his confidence”.

Sibley has finally paid the price for a prolonged spell of poor form with the bat – since he scored 120 against West Indies at Old Trafford last summer his average, which in eight matches up to that point had stood at 44.33, has fallen to 28.94. International opponents have repeatedly exploited technical failings – his past 15 Test innings include three ducks, five single-figure scores and a single half-century – while the pace at which he scores his runs has also been criticised.

Zak Crawley, who was omitted from the team for the second Test but had remained with the squad, has been released to play for Kent. Yorkshire’s Dawid Malan, who scored 199 against Sussex in June, his only first‑class innings of the summer, returns to the Test squad for the first time in three years.

“Dom needs some time away to regain his confidence after a challenging period,” Silverwood said. “He will return to Warwickshire to spend time in the middle without the scrutiny and find some rhythm and confidence. Dom offers a lot of value to the Test environment and some time away should help him. However, he remains part of our plans.”

Silverwood was notably more effusive about Crawley, who he said “is still a massive part of our plans moving forward”.

“We feel he would benefit from time outside the pressure of international competition to get some time working on his skills,” Silverwood said. “He has a bright future and I do not doubt that his time will come again in the Test arena.”

Joe Root (Yorkshire, captain), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Sam Curran (Surrey), Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Yorkshire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Mark Wood (Durham)

The Lancashire seamer Saqib Mahmood, who impressed in the limited-overs series against Pakistan this summer and was part of the touring party in Sri Lanka and India earlier in the year, keeps his place in the squad.

Though Mark Wood is expected to fully recover from the shoulder injury he sustained during England’s humbling defeat in the second Test at Lord’s, Mahmood will provide insurance. The spinner Jack Leach, who has not played in any of England’s Tests this summer, has returned to Somerset.

The squad is due to gather in Leeds on Sunday, with the third Test starting on Wednesday. Two players, Moeen Ali and Craig Overton, will take part in the closing stages of the Hundred before joining the group.

Moeen, who stands at No 4 in the list of the tournament’s top run-scorers, will be able to play for Birmingham Phoenix in Saturday’s final, while Craig Overton will bolster Southern Brave’s efforts to qualify as their opponents in Friday’s eliminator against Trent Rockets at the Oval.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.