Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
Sport
Australian Associated Press

Hawthorn players reportedly under investigation for alleged rape

Victorian police say they are ‘investigating a report of a sexual offence that is alleged to have occurred in Ashwood on 9 October’.
Victorian police say they are ‘investigating a report of a sexual offence that is alleged to have occurred in Ashwood on 9 October’. Photograph: Tracey Nearmy/AAP

Two Hawthorn AFL players are reportedly under police investigation for an alleged rape earlier this month.

The Seven Network said a 19-year-old woman made the report to the Box Hill police station regarding an incident on 9 October, six days after the club’s grand final win.

The report says the woman told Victoria Police she was raped in the back of a taxi and then at a property in Ashwood, after meeting the AFL players at a bar.

The names of the players have not been released.

Victoria Police released a statement on Friday night, saying they are “investigating a report of a sexual offence that is alleged to have occurred in Ashwood on 9 October”.

“As the matter is under investigation, it is not appropriate to comment further at this time.”

In a statement made before the broadcast, Hawthorn said it was aware of one player involved in the alleged sexual offence.

Hawks chief executive Stuart Fox said the club stood ready to assist police.

“I am aware of an investigation involving one player. We will obviously assist Victoria Police if needed,” Fox told the Herald Sun.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.