Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National

Hatton Garden jury begins deliberations on final suspect 'Basil'

A jury trying the last suspect in the Hatton Garden heist has been sent out to begin its deliberations.

Michael Seed, 58, is alleged to be the alarm expert nicknamed Basil who was a key player in the £14 million raid over the 2015 Easter bank holiday weekend.

He is also accused of carrying out a similar burglary at Bond Street jewellers Chatila five years earlier with the same team.

Seed was arrested when police raided his one-bedroom council flat in Islington on March 27 last year, his trial at the Old Bailey has heard.

Flying Squad officers found £143,000 worth of gold, gems and jewellery stolen from the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit company, the court heard.

Seed, who grew up in Cambridge, denies two charges of conspiracy to commit burglary and one count of conspiracy to handle stolen goods.

CCTV of Hatton Garden raid shown in court

He told jurors at Woolwich Crown Court he has never been known as Basil and had nothing to do with the high-end crimes.

Seed told the court he was given the Hatton Garden goods as part of his jewellery recycling work and did not go to police when he realised it was stolen for fear of arrest.

Judge Christopher Kinch sent out a jury of six men and six women on Tuesday afternoon to begin deliberations following a four-week trial.

Reporting by Press Association.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.