Oct. 29--Notre Dame got one of its five suspended football players back on the practice field this season.
Coach Brian Kelly said safety Eilar Hardy was back at practice Monday, though Hardy still has not been cleared to play. Hardy potentially could return to play in a game but still needs to go through administrative red tape.
Having Hardy back at practice will be a big help the rest of the season, Kelly said, especially with starter Austin Collinsworth recovering from a shoulder injury. Collinsworth (torn labrum) practiced in a harness, Kelly said, but it was not known if he would be available to play Saturday against Navy.
Kelly said he has spoken with receiver DaVaris Daniels but said the two did not discuss whether Daniels would return to the team next season, as defensive end Ishaq Williams and cornerback KeiVarae Russell plan to do next season after serving two-semester bans. Russell said last week on Instagram it was "likely" Daniels would return next season. The fifth player, linebacker Kendall Moore opted to leave Notre Dame.
Hardy, a senior, is delaying serving his two-semester ban until he can potentially graduate. One option on the table for Hardy is to sit out this season and then transfer as a graduate student to another school next season.
Kelly added that he has had no conversations formally or informally with the administration about potentially vacating victories.
Other notes from Kelly's news conference:
-- Kelly said he has instituted a "no-cry zone" as it relates to Navy's cut blocks. "Stop being crybabies and go play the game."
-- Tight end Tyler Luatua was cleared to play as he recovers from a concussion.
-- Kelly hadn't analyzed why the Irish struggle in the aftermath of playing Navy but suggested: "Maybe I should."