Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Cairo - Khalid Mahmoud

Haftar Rejects US Request to Participate in Derna Liberation

Khalifa Haftar, commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA), attends General Security conference, in Benghazi, Libya October 14, 2017. REUTERS/Esam Omran Al-Fetori

Commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Khalifa Haftar, who has lately carried out two unannounced visits to Egypt and France as part of preparations for Derna's liberation, rejected a request from the Trump Administration through AFRICOM for US forces to participate in the operation, sources revealed.

A reliable Libyan source told Asharq Al-Awsat that Haftar rejected the US offer given that the Libyan army is capable of liberating Derna from militants with minimum losses and without foreign assistance.

In the first US response, AFRICOM spokesperson Robyn Mack neither confirmed nor denied the claim but told Asharq Al-Awsat that it is an issue of operational security, and that she cannot comment on future operations.

Mack said that the US is relentless in its mission to destroy terrorist groups and achieve stability in the region. The US is also committed to maintaining pressure on the terrorism network and prevent terrorists from establishing safe havens.

ISIS and al-Qaeda have benefited from chaotic areas in Libya to establish hideouts and plot terrorist attacks, added Mack. They also recruited foreign militants, facilitated their movements and transferred funds to support their operations.

Libyan and Egyptian sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Haftar visited Cairo ten days ago and met with high-ranking military and political figures. He then headed to Paris in response to an invitation from French President Emmanuel Macron.

The sources denied rumors that Haftar had been flown to Jordan, and from there to Paris for treatment for a critical health condition.

LNA spokesman Ahmed al-Masmari assured Libyans on behalf of Haftar that the country’s security situation is under control and the army forces are combat-ready at all battlefronts. 

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.