Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Glasgow Live
Glasgow Live
David Meikle

Gun attack survivor ignored holiday quarantine rules to go drinking in Wetherspoons

A man who boasted about surviving a gun blast has been fined £60 after breaking strict covid quarantine rules to go drinking.

Scott Davis, 33, travelled to Spain with friends but should have self-isolated on his return for 14 days.

But he headed to a branch of JD Wetherspoon near his home in East Kilbride to booze with a group of friends.

Police discovered he had broken rules which had been slapped on foreign travellers by the Scottish Government in a bid to control the spread of the virus.

CCTV footage from Glasgow Airport showed him returning to Scotland in August 2020 and he was caught on camera in the pub days later.

Davis appeared at Hamilton Sheriff Court and admitted breaching quarantine rules.

He was fined by Sheriff Moira MacKenzie.

Depute fiscal Alice Carey told the court: "CCTV footage from within Glasgow Airport showed the accused arriving and there was also CCTV showing the accused in The Hay Stook pub in East Kilbride."

Andy Thomson, defending, said: "He had travelled with friends to Malaga for a holiday and he returned feeling very healthy but was contacted by friends some four or five days later and told they were within this pub.

"He didn't think twice and went out to meet these friends and when police saw him he immediately left.

"In my experience people have been arrested over these matters but they haven't been prosecuted and instead they've been offered fixed penalties which didn't happen here.

"There is a record before the court but he has put his offending well behind him and is in a position to pay a monetary penalty."

Sheriff MacKenzie said: "I think what I will do to mark this offence is to impose a fine."

In September 2019, Davis was blasted by two men in a targeted attack police ruled as attempted murder.

He later made defiant posts on social media and posted graphic images of his injuries.

After shooting Davis in the leg, the balaclava-wearing duo targeted a friend who was parked outside in a Volkswagen Passat.

Police Scotland confirmed the investigation into the shooting continues.

A spokeswoman said: "No arrests have been made and enquiries are ongoing."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.