Guests flee fire at quarantine hotel

Police at the scene after the fire was put out in the disused snooker club in the basement of a quarantine hotel on King Kaew Road in Bangphli district, Samut Prakan, on Wednesday night. (Photo: Sutthiwit Chayutworakan)

SAMUT PRAKAN: About 80 foreign visitors fled from the hotel where they were being quarantined when a fire erupted in the basement on Wednesday night, sending black smoke through the building.

The fire at the Siam Mandarina Hotel Suvarnabhumi on King Kaew Road in Bang Phli district was reported to Bang Kaeo police station about 9pm.

Ten fire engines and crews were rushed to the scene. They had the blaze under control in about 30 minutes. 

The fire began in an old snooker club which was being used as a storage room.

Hotel manager Nattawut Arunanonchai said the club had been closed for nearly two years, since the Covid-19 pandemic began.

The snooker club did not suffer major damage, police said.

They found melted wall power outlets and burned wiring in the room, and attributed the blaze to an electrical short circuit. There were no injuries.

The hotel is providing an alternative quarantine service for people arriving from abroad.


What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.