
Despite the new pessimistic statements made by the leadership of Yemen's legitimate government on Wednesday regarding the failure of the current UN efforts to reach a settlement with the Houthi coup, UN envoy Martin Griffiths said that what he heard from all parties during his current tour in the region was encouraging and would help him to frame the peace process which, he stressed, would be led by Yemen.
Griffiths’s remarks on Twitter coincided with his arrival in Riyadh to meet with the leadership of the Yemeni legitimate government again at the end of his tour in the region, which included visiting Muscat and Abu Dhabi, following his visit last month to Sanaa to meet leaders of the Houthi militia.
Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi expressed Wednesday his pessimism about reaching peace with the militia during his meeting with Griffiths in Riyadh, citing the fact that Houthi militias are receiving instructions from Tehran and cannot decide on any submitted peace proposal.
On 17 September, Griffiths is due to present his first briefing to the UN Security Council, including his assessment of the possibility of achieving peace in Yemen based on what he has heard from the various parties he has met in the context of his UN mission.
He will also brief the Council on the map of the proposed UN solution.
Griffiths said that he has ended consultations tour during his visit to Oman and UAE, where he met officials from both countries and prominent Yemeni figures.
Meanwhile, Hadi reiterated his support for the UN's efforts aiming to achieve durable peace in Yemen based on the GCC's Initiative, its operational plan, outcomes of the National Dialogue and UNSCRs, mainly UN resolution 2216.
The President has made clear that the coup militia can't deal constructively with the peace proposals by the international community because the militia doesn't own its decision; rather, it receives instructions from the Iranian regime that supplies it with weapons and missiles to attack the neighboring countries.
He said that the legitimate government has earlier responded positively to various peace consultations conducted in Bern and Kuwait, adding that the government has made significant concessions in the hope of making peace and ending the war triggered by Houthis coup militia against the legitimate government, according to Saba news agency.