Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
World
Jacob Jarvis

Grand Princess: Two passengers from coronavirus quarantine ship die after developing Covid-19

People in protective gear work near a tent in front of the cruise ship Grand Princess as tests for coronavirus are conducted and arrangements are being made to offload passengers at the Port of Oakland (Picture: REUTERS)

Two cruise ship passengers have died after catching coronavirus, following a journey on a vessel quarantined due to the outbreak.

The Grand Princess ship, ran by Princess Cruises, was held off the coast of California earlier this month after a former passenger died after contracting the virus.

American nationals aboard the ship were taken to US military bases for quarantine after it was eventually permitted to dock in the port of Oakland.

The nation's department of health and human services, which has overseen their quarantines, told the Standard the two passengers died "due to complications from the coronavirus".

They had been housed at the Travis Air Force Base in California. They died on different days, one on March 21 and the other patient on March 23.

The vessel was left unable to dock for days (AFP via Getty Images)

A department of health and human services spokeswomans said: "The staff from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) working with quarantined cruise ship passengers housed at Travis Air Force Base in California is deeply saddened by the recent deaths of two passengers due to complications from the coronavirus.

"Both passengers were on board the Grand Princess cruise ship and were transferred to area medical facilities immediately after developing COVID-19 symptoms.

"Grief support for both families is being provided by HHS and Princess Cruise Lines. Our heartfelt condolences to both families."

A Princess Cruises spokesman expressed the company's condolences.

He said: "Our hearts go out to the families, friends and all who are impacted by these losses. All of us at Princess Cruises offer our sincere condolences."

The Standard has contacted the department of health and human services for comment.

More than 3,500 people were stuck aboard the ship, with more than 100 UK nationals among them.

A flight was arranged to bring Brits stranded due to the incident home, which landed in Birmingham on March 11.

They were all transported home to self-isolate following their journeys.

At least 21 people from onboard the ship were infected with the coronavirus, while there were people from 54 different nations aboard.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.