Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
National
Michelle Cullen

Government to decide whether or not to proceed with PUP cuts

Taoiseach Micheal Martin has said the Government would make a decision on cuts to the Pandemic Unemployment Payment on Monday after a Cabinet subcommittee meeting.

The Taoiseach had previously told the Dail that there were no plans to reopen the PUP or to delay the planned cuts to the payment in the coming weeks.

The cuts would see those receiving €300 a week getting €250 and those currently receiving €250 getting €203 per week.

However, as Covid cases continue to rise across the country and the health system becomes under increasing pressure, Mr Martin said the topic would be up for discussion once again.

The revisiting of the issue comes after the government introduced new measures for bars, restaurants and nightclubs that saw them close at 12 midnight.

The Taoiseach said the government is conscious of the impact the latest restrictions have had on the entertainment and hospitality sectors.

Taoiseach Micheal Martin TD during a cabinet meeting at Dublin Castle. (Collins Photo Agency, Dublin)

He said: "We have an Economic Recovery Cabinet sub-committee meeting on Monday ... Yes, will be giving that consideration and also in terms of the entertainment sector … We have got to explore how we can continue to support sectors that are undoubted suffering as a result of the pandemic."

Mr Martin was also asked about reports of some nightclubs now opening earlier to compensate for the loss of later opening hours.

He said: "I'm not going to go specifically on any one particular sector or group. There's a framework in place, but it is very important that people reassess events and so forth and reduce congregation and socialisation where possible."

The Taoiseach refused to rule out the introduction of a curfew such as other European countries have introduced but emphasised that Ireland is now in a very different place than in previous waves.

He said: "I think again because we are in a different wave of this pandemic, we've got to look at what are the appropriate and effective measures to take – already in terms of the return to work, we think that will have impact."

The news comes after the Department of Health reported a further 4,181 Covid cases on Sunday, with 668 people now in hospital, 125 of whom are in ICU.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.