Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
World
Jayke Brophy

Government confirms October 'firebreak' lockdown would be 'last resort'

A so-called firebreak lockdown in England is not being planned for October half-term, but there are contingency plans that would "only be reintroduced as a last resort" to protect the NHS, the Government has said.

Despite reports last night over plans to bring in restrictions in October, should cases and deaths rise once again, the Prime Minister's official spokesperson said that the vaccination programme provides “significant defences” which the country did not have when restrictions were previously put in place.

Downing Street denied there is a plan to put in place a firebreak this autumn if there is a new surge in Covid-19 cases, but the Government said there are "contingency plans" for a "range of scenarios".

READ MORE: Live updates M6 closed for 'several hours' as lorry involved in serious crash

Asked about the reports, the No 10 spokesman said: "It is not true that the Government is planning a lockdown or firebreak around the October half-term."

He added: "We have retained contingency plans as part of responsible planning for a range of scenarios, but these kinds of measures would only be reintroduced as a last resort to prevent unsustainable pressure on our NHS.

"I think we've been clear throughout that we will take action, and indeed we have done when necessary to protect our NHS.

"But under the previous occasions when that action has been required, we have been without the significant defences that our vaccination programme provides us - we're now in a much different phase."

The statement comes after vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi said he had not seen any plans around a firebreak and added that he hopes the virus can be dealt with "year in, year out" without having to take the "severe measures" seen last December.

Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Mr Zahawi said: "Vaccines have given us the ability to reduce infections, to save 100,000 lives.

"It is through the booster programme that I hope ... we can transition the virus from pandemic to endemic status and deal with it year in, year out.

"(Covid) is going to be with us for many years - but not have to close down our economy or take the severe measures we had to sadly take in December of last year."

The number of deaths involving coronavirus registered each week in England and Wales has climbed to the highest level for five months.

A total of 668 deaths registered in the week ending August 27 mentioned Covid-19 on the death certificate, according to the Office for National Statistics - the highest number since 719 deaths were registered in the week to March 26.

The latest figures show the impact of the third wave of Covid-19, which began in the UK in May, but the number of deaths is still well below the level seen at the peak of the second wave - reflecting the success of the rollout of coronavirus vaccines across the country.

Despite this, it is believed that the strength of the vaccine programme will be enough to see the country avoid a further lockdown, with the JCVI preparing to decide on booster jabs for the winter.

No decision has been made yet on whether all elderly people will be offered a third vaccine ahead of the winter months.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.