Gordon Ramsay’s Covid nightmare as restaurants lose millions due to crisis

By Jeremy Armstrong

Gordon Ramsay’s restaurants lost millions last year due to the coronavirus crisis.

Lockdowns forced his restaurants to stay closed for months.

And accounts show Gordon Ramsay Restaurants lost £5.1m for the year to August 31, 2020, compared to a profit of £15.2m in the previous 12 months.

The group, which the celebrity chef launched in 1997, has 25 restaurants in the UK and 11 worldwide, in locations such as Las Vegas and Versailles.

The company received £3.2m from the furlough scheme and Ramsay, 54, had given “personal guarantees” of £5m to help steer the business through the crisis.

Do you feel bad for Gordon? Have your say in the comment section

Andy Wenlock, chief executive of Gordon Ramsay Restaurants, said the company was confident of riding out the pandemic due to Ramsay’s financial backing.

In the directors’ report, he credited “additional funding from its bank and its major shareholder” for helping to keep the group afloat.

He said: “The Covid-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on the group.”

Gordon Ramsey's Maze Restaurant in London (Daily Record)

Get all the latest celeb news straight to your inbox. Sign up to one of the Mirror's newsletters

Earlier this year, Ramsay said Covid could cost his restaurants £60m.

He said: “The last 12 months have been the most difficult of my 28-year career.”

He is due to launch The River Restaurant at the Savoy Hotel in London this month.


What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.