Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
BARRY TOOHEY

Glasby sent for tests following concussions and rested for Manly

Knights forward Tim Glasby has undergone a series of precautionary neurological tests after suffering concussion during the loss to North Queensland last weekend and is out of Sunday's clash against Manly at Brookvale.

The Knights are taking no chances with the 31-year-old lock after he failed a HIA in the first half against the Cowboys and did not return. It is the second time since the season resumed after the COVID-19 shutdown that Glasby has been forced from the field with a head knock.

He underwent testing on Tuesday at the Sports Concussion Clinic at John Hunter Hospital with Professor Chris Levi but will be rested this weekend irrespective of the results.

"I don't want to mess around with that with Tim," Knights coach Adam O'Brien told the Newcastle Herald.

"It's precautionary but it's the right thing to do by him to get all that stuff thoroughly checked to see how he is tracking.

Rested: Experienced Knights forward Tim Glasby has undergone tests after suffering a further concussion in his side's 32-20 loss to North Queensland in Townsville last weekend. Picture: NRL Photos.

"Regardless of whatever's happened, because he has had a couple of head knocks, we've made the decision to sit him out for a week and we'll reassess after that when we get the results and see how he is."

Glasby's omission opens the door for Pasami Saulo to make his first appearance in the NRL this season off the bench with Herman Ese'ese promoted to the starting side at lock.

Toohey's News: Listen to Barry Toohey's new podcast in your Podcast app

In the only other change to the side well beaten by the Cowboys, centre Bradman Best returns at the expense of Gehamat Shibasaki, after Best was stood down last week by the NRL for breaking bio-security protocols by visiting his mother.

"Pasami has been training really well and has been on the fringe there so deserves his opportunity,"O'Brien said.

"I've been really impressed with his attitude to training and he'll do a good job for us when he gets his chance."

O'Brien has opted against making further changes and like he did after the loss to Melbourne Storm a few weeks ago, has given the squad an opportunity to redeem themselves against the Sea Eagles after the well-below par performance in Townsville.

"It's fair to say our video session on Monday was in-depth," he said. "We were just really flat so we have to rectify that this week."

Centre Tautau Moga, who is yet to feature this season, was again over-looked with right centre Enari Tuala holding his spot. But Moga will finally get an opportunity next week to impress the coach.

The Knights have organised a scrimmage for fringe players against Manly at Brookvale next Monday with Moga certain to take part.

"We should get close to 13 v 13 in that scrimmage or 12 v 12 and that's a real opportunity for all the fringe guys to impress," O'Brien said.

"If Tau plays in that as well as he's trained, he will give himself a red-hot chance of forcing his way into the main side."

Manly centre Moses Suli returns for the Sea Eagles after missing the loss to the Sharks and his dual with Best should be a game highlight.

SIGN UP TODAY: For the best coverage of sport in Newcastle and the Hunter, subscribe to the newcastleherald.com.au/lovesport for unlimited digital access

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.