Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
World
Adam Forrest

Ghana bus crash: At least 60 killed after two loaded coaches collide

At least 60 people have died in a bus crash in Ghana’s Bono East region on Friday, according to reports.

A head-on collision involving two vehicles took place on the Kintampo-Techiman highway near Kintampo.

Fire crews were called to the scene after one of the two buses went up in flames, according to the country’s TV3 news channel.

Police told the channel surviving passengers, some in critical condition, had been taken to three different hospitals for treatment.

The accident is said to have happened early on Friday between 1.30am and 2.10am local time, and involved VVIP and Grandbird company buses.

Kintampo fire chief Ankomah Twene told TV3 that preliminary investigations suggested one of the bus drivers may have been dozing while driving on the road.

“Most of the passengers in both vehicles died at the spot. A number of them with varying degrees of injuries have been rushed to hospital,” a police spokesperson told BBC News.

According to AFP, at least 60 died in the crash.

The road is one of the main routes in and out of the town of Kintampo, around 270 miles north of the capital Accra.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.