LOS ANGELES _ Gavin Lux declined to disclose the cause for his late arrival to the Los Angeles Dodgers' training camp this month, electing to keep what he called "personal information" to himself during a Thursday video conference.
"I don't think it's really anybody's business," said Lux, who missed the first week of Dodgers camp before reporting July 10. "I'm here and ready to go and focused on moving forward."
Despite his late start, Lux doesn't feel behind as he embarks on the season as the National League rookie of the year frontrunner. The former first-round pick hit .240 with two home runs in 75 at-bats last year and was able to face consistent live pitching while waiting out the quarantine at his home in Wisconsin.
"I took a couple days off since we canceled spring training," he said, noting that he never contemplated opting out of the season. "That three-month break, I wouldn't say you lose baseball instincts. But it's just like anything else. You've just got to get back into it. It's going to be crazy here any way you look at it."
Manager Dave Roberts hasn't finalized Lux's role _ which entering the season was widely expected to be as the team's primary second baseman _ but plans to give the club's top prospect plenty of playing time in his first full MLB season.
"I think our goal is just (to) get Gavin as many innings under his legs, get his feet under him, and then try to throw as many at-bats as we can," Roberts said.
Still, entering a year in which few other National League rookies seemed poised for a breakthrough (St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Dylan Carlson and Washington Nationals infielder Carter Kieboom are considered the two other likeliest rookie of the year candidates), Lux is hoping to successfully pursue aspirations of a personal and team-wide variety.
"I'd be lying if I wasn't" aiming for rookie of the year honors, he said. But, "I'd rather win a World Series than rookie of the year. That's the main goal."