Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
Health

Gastro hits 200 passengers on Brisbane-bound ship

About 200 people have been struck down with gastro onboard a cruise ship that docked in Brisbane on Thursday morning.

The Sea Princess, part of the Princess Cruises fleet, is completing the final leg of a two-week round trip between Brisbane and New Zealand.

It is at least the fourth Australian cruise ship that has been dogged with gastro in the past 12 months.

Queensland Health confirmed on-board testing found norovirus to be the cause of increased gastro cases.

"Around 200 people were believed to have been infected with the virus," a spokesperson said.

"Appropriate sanitation procedures and outbreak control measures have been implemented and the vessel is expected to undergo further comprehensive cleaning while in Brisbane."

In an email to passengers, Princess Cruises said it had been "carrying out a comprehensive sanitation program in coordination with several international public health authorities".

"We have also arranged for the ship to undergo an additional disinfection in Brisbane," the company said.

The Sea Princess can hold up to 2,000 guests and 910 crew, and features a four-storey atrium, casino, pools and sporting facilities.

Fares for the 14-day New Zealand cruise range from $2,000 to $6,600 per person.

The Sea Princess' sister ship the Sun Princess was dogged with several gastro outbreaks last year.

A Papua New Guinea trip was ruined for at least 140 passengers last February, with passengers claiming the virus was "rampant before we got on".

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.