Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Garcia confirms return to Singapore Open next year

August 5, 2017; Akron, OH, USA; Sergio Garcia hits out of the bunker on the first hole during the third round of the WGC - Bridgestone Invitational golf tournament at Firestone Country Club - South Course. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

(Reuters) - U.S. Masters champion Sergio Garcia will play in next year's Singapore Open at Sentosa Golf Club for the second consecutive time, the organisers said on Monday.

The 37-year-old Spaniard was considered one of the most talented players never to have won a major until he claimed the famous green jacket at Augusta after winning a playoff against Britain's Justin Rose earlier this year.

The Singapore Open, to be played between Jan. 18-21, is jointly sanctioned by the Asian Tour and the Japan Golf Tour Organisation.

"I loved my time in Singapore and it was the ideal way to start the golfing year," Garcia said in a statement. "I did not manage victory in the Singapore Open but I won twice soon afterwards, including, of course, my first Major at the Masters.

"I am happy to be coming back to the SMBC Singapore Open next year. It is a great event on a superb golf course."

Garcia finished tied for 11th place on his Singapore debut in January before collecting victories at February's Dubai Desert Classic and the Masters in April.

(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.