Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
World
Press Association

G4S driver charged with stealing nearly £1MILLION from his own security van

A G4S driver has appeared in court charged with stealing almost £1million from one of the firm's vans.

Joel March, 36, is alleged to have fled with deposit boxes after abandoning the cash-in-transit vehicle in a leafy south London street on Tuesday morning.

The blue armoured van, emblazoned with G4S logos, sat on a double yellow line on Larkhall Rise, Clapham, for eight hours before police were alerted.

The Metropolitan Police's elite Flying Squad unit launched an investigation and a 36-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of theft in neighbouring Brixton on Wednesday afternoon.

March, of Clapham, London, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates' Court on Thursday charged with theft by employee.

Camberwell Green Magistrates' Court in London (Daily Mirror)

Police probing Motherwell robbery release CCTV of two men

The charge states he stole £970,000 from G4S on Tuesday.

March will next appear at Inner London Crown Court at a date to be fixed.

A quantity of cash was recovered and G4S, a major government contractor, said there had been no "material" financial impact from the incident.

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said: "Police were called at approximately 7pm on Tuesday, 23 April to reports of a theft of cash deposit boxes from a cash-in-transit vehicle.

"Officers attended a location in the Larkhall Rise area of Clapham where the vehicle was parked. There was no sign of forced entry to the vehicle.

'Daniel v Lyons' car chase through Glasgow that ended in M8 attack on Steven 'Bonzo' Daniel caught on video  

"An investigation was launched by the Met's Flying Squad and a 36-year-old man was arrested by officers on suspicion of theft at approximately 3pm on Wednesday, 24 April in SW2.

"He has been taken to a south London police station. A quantity of cash has been recovered."

A G4S spokeswoman said: "These incidents are extremely rare in our UK cash business and we are working closely with the Metropolitan Police to resolve the matter. The financial impact is not material."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.