Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Mark Jones

Furious Rennes refuse to recognise Tottenham postponement and insist match will go ahead

Ligue 1 side Rennes insist that they feel their Europa Conference League match against Tottenham Hotspur should still be going ahead despite Spurs announcing it had been postponed on Wednesday.

The London club have confirmed that eight players and five members of staff had tested positive for Covid, announcing via their official channels that Thursday's group stage meeting with the French outfit was off as a result.

But Rennes say that they still haven't heard from UEFA on the matter, and having already landed in London they still intend to play the game.

A Rennes statement read: "As the match is not officially called off by UEFA, Stade Rennais has stuck to its decision to play the game.

"[Spurs' representative] did not announce the number of players with Covid, even though the rule states the match must be played if the team has 13 outfield players and a goalkeeper.

Have Your Say! What do you think about the situation? Tell us your thoughts in the comments here.

Tottenham announced that the match was off on Wednesday (PA Images Contributor/Press Association Images)

Explained: The new Covid measures football fans must now take to attend matches

"She claimed a decision from the English authorities, without providing any official documents.

"This lack of fair play is all the more flagrant given that Tottenham confirmed by mail early this afternoon that the match would be held, before informing Rennes of their intention not to play right after [the team] landed at London City Airport."

Tottenham are adamant that the game will not be played, and they are also seeking to get this weekend's Premier League match against Brighton called off.

“We can confirm that our UEFA Europa Conference League Group G home fixture against Stade Rennais will not take place tomorrow after a number of positive COVID-19 cases at the Club," said Spurs in their statement.

“Discussions are ongoing with UEFA and we shall provide a further update on this fixture in due course.

“Additionally, following discussions with the Health Security Agency and DCMS advisers, the club has been advised to close the first team area of its training centre at this time, in the interests of the health and safety of players and staff.

Tottenham and Rennes were due to go head-to-head on Thursday (REUTERS)

“All other areas of the training centre remain operational.”

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte felt the postponement should have come earlier, and speaking before it was confirmed, said: “Today we had the training session, we prepared the game and yesterday two other positives, today two other positives and tomorrow, who? Me? I don’t know. Maybe.

“Better me than a player for sure, but I think that it is not right for everyone because we have family and we have contact with them when we come back home we have contact with our family.

“Eight players and five members of staff [tested positive]. But the problem is that everyday we are having new people with Covid."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.