Jim McElwain needs a quarterback.
He might be hiding in plain sight.
It remains to been seen whether McElwain turns his attention to first-year freshman Feleipe Franks or Kyle Trask leading up to the Jan. 2 Outback Bowl against Iowa.
But McElwain did leave open the door a QB change could coming when the Gators return to practice field.
Stating the obvious after a 54-16 loss Saturday to Alabama, the second-year coach said developing a quarterback for the future is critical for the Gators going forward.
"That's something we've got to do," McElwain said. "We've got to make sure that happens sooner or later, and that's my responsibility, and it will get done."
Leaning on a pair of transfer quarterbacks, Luke Del Rio and Austin Appleby, the 2016 Gators (8-4) won the SEC East but lost to rivals Tennessee and Florida State, failed to score a touchdown during a loss at Arkansas and fell by 38 points during the conference title game to Alabama.
The Gators enter the bowl game with back-to-back losses and do not want to end the season on a three-game skid like a season ago. But with little else left to play for this season, the Gators might turn toward the future and begin to develop either Franks or Trask with the hope he would become the 2017 starter.
Appleby has one game remaining in his college career and likely gives UF its best chance against Iowa. While talented, Appleby makes too many bad decisions and have three interceptions against Alabama's top-ranked defense.
Del Rio has two years of eligibility remaining but based on his body work does not appear to be the answer for the Gators. Praised for his leadership and his football IQ, the 6-foot-1, 211-pound Del Rio showed he lacks the arm strength to beat the better SEC teams.
The 6-foot-6, 219-pound Franks, who served as Appleby's back-up the past four games, has a big arm. The 6-foot-4, 238-pound Trask is the team's best pure passer.
Either freshman would have to burn his redshirt season to play Jan. 2. McElwain said he would speak with each player and his family about the possibility.
"I'm not sure it's fair, but at the same time, I know they want to play," McElwain said. "We'll see."
Franks and Trask said he would put the decision their coaches' hands.
"To be honest with you, haven't talked to Coach Mac and I haven't talked to Coach Nuss (offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier)," Franks said. "That's one thing I leave up to them."
Trask said he would be willing to give up a season of eligibility for one game if it would help the Gators.
"It's never about the redshirt," he said. "It's about whatever the coaches want. It's about whatever the team needs."
Franks was a high school star out of Crawfordville and a four-star recruit while Trask was a backup in the Houston area and did not receive any big-time offers other than UF.
Both enrolled early last January and Trask impressed during spring practices and the spring game. Frank threw three interceptions during the spring game, but has made marked improvement, McElwain said last month.
What McElwain decides, the two freshman quarterbacks will have 15 bowl practices to develop.
"We're still trying to finish the season," Trask said. "I'll definitely have the mindset of finishing the season and will work as hard as I can for every practice."