Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
Sport
Sarah Clapson

Fresh striker link emerges as Nottingham Forest target heading for 'exit'

Newly-appointed Under-18s lead coach Warren Joyce has his sights set on developing “more young talent” for Nottingham Forest.

The Reds have a proud tradition of bringing youngsters through the ranks at the Nigel Doughty Academy and into the first-team - and Joyce is keen to now play his part.

The 56-year-old takes over the role from Gareth Holmes, who left the club earlier this month.

Joyce also joins ahead of the club’s first season as a Category 1 academy, with the Under-18s to compete in Premier League 2 North Division for the 2021/22 campaign.

“I am delighted to be joining Nottingham Forest at such an exciting time with the club gaining Category 1 status,” he said.

Read more, here.

Friendly cancelled

Nottingham Forest’s friendly with Aston Villa which had been scheduled for this afternoon, has been called off at the last minute.

The Reds were due to face the Premier League side at their Bodymoor Heath training ground in a behind closed doors pre-season match, with a 1pm kick-off.

However, a call is understood to have been made to cancel the game at about 10am this morning.

That was set to be the fifth run-out of pre-season for Chris Hughton’s side, following wins against Alfreton Town, Port Vale and Northampton Town, and Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Crewe Alexandra.

Full story, here.

Striker linked

Nottingham Forest have been linked with a move for Rennes striker M’Baye Niang as the new season draws closer.

Reds boss Chris Hughton has made clear the importance of strengthening his attacking resources this summer - as well as bringing in players in other areas.

Goalkeeper Ethan Horvath has been the club’s only addition of the window so far, but Hughton is looking to bring in reinforcements at the top end of the pitch after his side struggled to score goals last term.

French website Foot Mercato report Senegal international Niang is now on their radar, with the forward likely to move on before the window closes, having been transfer listed.

Full story, here.

Flemming latest

Nottingham Forest and Fortuna Sittard are said to still be in disagreement over the value of attacking midfielder Zian Flemming.

The Reds are understood to have made more than one bid for the 22-year-old, but reaching a compromise with his club appears to be proving difficult.

Flemming is generally estimated to be worth about £1.5m, but Fortuna are believed to be asking for a few million more than that, as they hold firm.

So far, Forest’s attempts to sign him have seemingly hit a brick wall, with reports in the Netherlands suggesting they were even prepared to include some players in any deal.

Full story, here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.