Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
Sport
Will Freeman

Frank Warren gives update on Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte purse split row

The purse bids for the highly anticipated all-British heavyweight clash between Tyson Fury and Dillian Whyte have been pushed back by a week following a row over the split.

Whyte is the mandatory challenger for Fury's WBC belt and is said to be unhappy with the 80:20 split which has been proposed by Fury's camp.

The fight is proposed for March and both sides will be hopeful of sealing a deal for what would be one of British boxing's biggest fights in years.

Whyte's promoter Barry Hearn has made it known that he believes the two sides have a "very different assessment" of Whyte's value in the fight, with the WBC Interim Heavyweight Champion taking only 20% of the earnings under the current proposals.

Now, Fury's promoter Frank Warren has revealed that the purse bids will take place a week later than planned following the disagreement.

They were due to take place early next week on Monday 10th or Tuesday 11th January but have now been delayed until either Monday 17th or Tuesday 18th January.

Warren told talkSPORT : "First of all, the purse bid's been pushed back by a week now. That was done [Saturday], so they purse bid will be seven days after so I think it's next Monday or Tuesday,"

"As regarding the split, of course they're entitled to an appeal. I don't think they'll get anywhere because purse bids are based upon boxers previous earnings.

"Tyson's last purse that were lodged with the WBC was £20million and Dillian Whyte's purse was £300,000, that's why it's at the split it's at.

"A situation in the last year I can think of is when Canelo fought against his mandatory at the time, Billy Joe Saunders but Billy had just done a deal.

"There was no way he was gonna get any 45 percent of a purse because the guy who generates the most money out the two of them is Canelo."

Whyte earned his fight with Fury following a fourth round knockout against Alexander Povetkin in March 2021, winning revenge for a previous defeat and reclaiming his interim title.

It will be Fury's first fight since beating Deontay Wilder in the third leg of their trilogy in October and Warren claims that these kind of deals are 'perfectly normal'.

"Certainly when you've got a heavyweight generating the money that Tyson's generating, there's never gonna be that kind of split.

"That is not something that's new, this has been this way for over 25 years at least. Most of the organisations operate this way and that's what it is.

"They can make their appeal, nobody would in any way from our perspective say you can't do that, but fact of the matter is I don't think it will make a difference."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.