NEW YORK — The Mets’ shortstop situation is currently very ashen.
Javier Baez is fighting tightness in his left hip that matriculated up to his lower back. Luis Guillorme has a strained hamstring and Jose Peraza fractured a finger that’s kept him out since mid-July. Jonathan Villar is a capable fill-in, but for a team that’s fighting tooth-and-nail to stay relevant in the NL East race, he doesn’t inspire much confidence as an everyday shortstop.
The rest of the depth chart is even scarier, as manager Luis Rojas said that second baseman/outfielder Jeff McNeil would be the next man up if they need another shortstop, while noting that Brandon Drury and his 57 career innings at the position could lend a hand too.
On Wednesday afternoon, a potential phoenix was seen rising from those ashes.
Francisco Lindor took batting practice at Citi Field before the start of Wednesday’s doubleheader. He’s been hampered by an oblique injury since July 16, necessitating the trade for Baez that so far has been disenchanting. Taking swings on the field is a big step for Lindor, as the oblique is an area heavily involved in swinging a baseball bat.
“He looked great,” Rojas said. “It’s nice to see him ramping things up. This was the first time he’s hit on the field. He gave good feedback so this is a good step.”
The franchise shortstop also simulated game activities like fielding ground balls, stealing a base and running from the batter’s box to second base. When pressed about when Lindor could begin a rehab assignment — the season’s clock is rapidly ticking, after all — Rojas did not provide the answer many eager fans wanted to hear.
“We’re approaching this week-to-week,” Rojas warned. “This is a plan that our performance staff has with him. It was a good day, there’s nothing more to say. I can’t tell you what’s coming up next.”