Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Jamie Mckenzie & Lanarkshire Live

Foxhound owner given SSPCA advice after 'concerning' hunt photos

The Scottish SPCA has given advice to a hound owner after photographs of their dogs during a fox hunt sparked public concern.

Animal rights campaigners shared images of dogs involved in the Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire hunt two weeks ago and claimed the animals were in an unhealthy state.

The images sparked public concern and anger online and led to the Scottish SPCA carrying out enquiries.

Scottish SPCA chief inspector, Elaine Lindsay, said: “We can confirm that we received calls from members of the public who had seen the images of the hounds on social media and were concerned about the condition of the animals.

“Our inspector attended the premises and viewed the dogs in question. Some dogs did appear in lean condition but also had muscle definition consistent with working dogs.

“We spoke to the animals’ owner and advised them to seek veterinary treatment where necessary and make sure the dogs are wormed regularly.

"We have also suggested feeding the leaner dogs separately to ensure they are getting their fair share of food and increase their body mass to a healthy weight.

“We will be liaising closely with the owners to make sure this advice is followed.

“If anyone has concerns about an animal they can contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”

Foxhounds are typically lean built, athletic dogs which are bred for stamina and endurance, resulting in a lean but muscular appearance.

Working dogs of this nature are often very active and use up lots of energy daily and, if underfed, would not be able to keep up with a pack during a hunt.

Care should always be taken to ensure dogs housed together in packs are fed separately to ensure each dog is getting enough food so a good body condition is maintained.

Last month, our sister title, the Daily Record, told how huntsman Conrad Jones refused to apologise after hunt saboteurs filmed him feeding a dead fox to a pack of hounds in front of them.

He sparked fury when he tossed the freshly killed fox carcass to dogs at a hunt in Howwood, Renfrewshire, on November 13 - then encouraged them to tear it to pieces in the sickening video clip.

The 24-year-old could then be seen asking a stunned saboteur who had tried to protect the animal if they wanted him to “hold it up” for them.

When the Record contacted Jones, he said he “probably shouldn’t have done it” but declined to apologise and claimed he had been the victim of death threats since the clip emerged online.

Jones was also photographed riding a horse - which appeared to have blood on its legs - during the hunt two weeks ago.

Campaigners Glasgow Hunt Sabs shared the images on Twitter and said while there were no confirmed fox killings, many of the dogs and horses being used were in an unhealthy state.

Although fox hunting with dogs was banned in Scotland in 2002, an unlimited number of dogs are still allowed to chase foxes from cover so they can be shot.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.