Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
Jessica Schladebeck

Fourth victim linked to suspected serial killer in Florida

Authorities in Florida believe an early morning shooting death is linked to three October murders that occurred in the same Tampa neighborhood.

Officers discovered 60-year-old Ronald Felton lying dead in the street near North Nebraska Ave. and East McBerry St. just before 5 a.m. Tuesday, WFLA reported.

Witnesses told officers Fenton was crossing the street when he was shot and killed just a few blocks away from a memorial honoring three others killed in Seminole Heights.

The first victim, 22-year-old Benjamin Mitchell, was shot and killed on Oct. 9 while he was waiting at a bus stop. A few days later, authorities found Monica Hoff, 32, fatally shot just 10 blocks away.

The third victim, Anthony Naiboa was shot after mistakenly taking the wrong bus home and was found 100 yards away from where the first victim was discovered.

"We think by their proximity and the manner it was done, they are linked," Tampa Police Chief Brian Dugan said during a press conference Tuesday morning. "We're saying it's related to the other Seminole Heights murders."

Tampa police told the news station they spoke with a witness who provided a description similar to the suspect in the other murders following Tuesday's slaying.

Authorities suspect he has a local connection and is still in the area. They've asked residents within their perimeter to remain indoors until further notice.

Police also encouraged residents to turn on any surveillance cameras and review it for suspicious activity.

Police in October released a clip requesting tips from the public and later in the month shared additional footage they believe shows the suspect near the scene of Mitchell's murder.

Police said so far they've gotten about 300 tips. There's also a $35,000 reward for anyone who provides information leading up to an arrest, CBS News reported.

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn also encouraged residents to come forward with any details.

"All you're doing is protecting a killer," he said. "And that killer may take out one of your family members. So, you decide which side you're on."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.