A former aide to an ex-Tory minister has been charged with six counts of rape, police have said.
Jon Boulton, 27, from Teddington, south-west London, who was a speechwriter and media adviser to the former minister for civil society Rob Wilson, is accused of raping a woman in her 20s in Wimbledon, south-west London.
Boulton, who is on bail, will appear at Wimbledon magistrates court on 12 July.
A spokeswoman for the Metropolitan police said: “Detectives from the sexual offences exploitation and child abuse command investigating an allegation of rape have charged a man.
“Jon Boulton … was charged on Tuesday, 27 June with six counts of rape. This relates to alleged offences committed at an address in Wimbledon on 15 April 2016.”
Wilson is no longer an MP after losing his Reading East seat to Labour’s Matt Rodda in the general election.
The former minister’s website previously said Boulton helped with “research, drafting of questions, speech-writing and national media” but the references were removed after Boulton was arrested last year on 16 April.
Boulton’s solicitor previously told reporters his client’s temporary contract with Wilson had expired around the time of the alleged offence.