Former Newcastle United fan favourite Hatem Ben Arfa could retired, according to reports in France. The 35-year-old has been a free agent since leaving Lille earlier this summer.
The French international is no stranger to controversy and had a bust up with Jocelyn Gourvennec following a 0-0 draw with Bordeaux last season. Throughout his career, the Frenchman has been relatively outspoken.
However, Media Foot Marseille, claims there’s chance the winger could retire. Ben Arfa has ‘disappeared from the radar during the summer transfer window’. The report claims the former Lyon and Marseille midfielder has demands that are 'too high' for respective clubs.
READ MORE: Newcastle United eye bold transfer swoop for Sunderland teenager
The former Newcastle playmaker has represented Nice, PSG, Rennes, Real Valladolid, Bordeaux and recently Lille. The report adds it's "a pity for such great potential," referencing the problems Ben Arfa had throughout his career.
He would spend four years at St. James’ Park’s scoring 14 goals and notching 15 assists in 86 appearances, before a loan spell with Hull City in 2014-15.
- Inside Newcastle United new boy Alexander Isak's low key press unveiling
- The inside story of Newcastle United's transfer window - all the bids, stories and 'mega opportunity'
- 'They get a shock', Kieran Trippier describes reactions of visiting teams who turn up at St James' Park
- Newcastle's two deadline day transfer bids and Howe sends message to Joao Pedro
- Joao Pedro transfer truth and Newcastle's deadline day stance