Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
Rafael Olmeda

Former elections chief Snipes sues to get job back

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. _ Former Broward elections supervisor Brenda Snipes is taking Gov. Rick Scott to federal court, arguing in a lawsuit filed late Monday that his decision to suspend her after she had already resigned was "malicious" and politically motivated.

Accusations of misconduct from Scott and President Donald Trump resulted in death threats against Snipes in the weeks after the November general election, according to the lawsuit.

Snipes, who was appointed in 2003 after her predecessor was removed from office for incompetence, was herself accused of mismanaging numerous elections, including the November races for governor and U.S. senator.

Those races were so close that they triggered statewide recounts. The Broward elections office was slow to report results and missed a state recount deadline by two minutes.

Shortly after the recount started, Scott himself suggested possible fraud, but never offered any concrete examples. "Governor Scott and others working on his behalf tried in every way to damage Snipes' reputation and inject doubt into the minds of Broward voters that the Broward County elections process was being conducted properly," the lawsuit alleges. "Tweets from the President of the United States and untrue allegations made by Governor Scott resulted in death threats against Snipes and her family members."

After the latest recount was completed, Snipes resigned effective Jan. 4. She has since rescinded that. She had two years remaining on her term of office. But Scott, who won the Senate race, moved to strip her of her office immediately and replace her with Pete Antonacci, who has held several posts at the request of the governor.

"Snipes seeks to fight for her reputation and stand up against the embarrassment that has been caused by Governor Scott's unnecessary and malicious suspension," states the lawsuit. "At this point Governor Scott's allegations have gone unchallenged as he sits high on a throne utilizing state resources to continually humiliate Snipes."

The suit names Scott and Florida Senate President Bill Galvano as defendants. Both are Republicans. Snipes is a Democrat.

The lawsuit contends that Snipes' due process rights were violated and that the law allowing the governor to suspend elected officials is unconstitutional because it does not allow for a hearing where she could defend herself, either before or after the suspension.

Brenda Snipes says she'll fight suspension by Gov. Scott, and rescinds resignation

Snipes contends that lawsuits filed by Scott's Senate campaign forced delays that could have been avoided.

John Tupps, a spokesman for Scott, criticized the lawsuit.

"This lawsuit is a desperate move from someone who has already officially submitted her resignation," Tupps said. "This is simply an attempt by Ms. Snipes to rewrite the history of her failed leadership."

The lawsuit targets Galvano because he announced last week that the state Senate would not review her case. Florida law requires the Senate to either remove or reinstate county officials who are suspended by the governor.

But Galvano sent a memo to senators saying there is not enough time to investigate the allegations against Snipes before her resignation takes effect Jan. 4. He said a legal review by Senate attorneys had concluded that Snipes had rescinded her "unconditional" resignation too late.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.