Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Pat Hurst

Foreign nurse banned from the job after telling colleagues: ‘I could kill someone here and I would still get a job at home’

The woman has been struck off the medical register and banned from working as a nurse - (Getty)

A foreign nurse has been banned from the profession after telling colleagues: “I could kill someone here and I would still get a job at home.”

Nimmy George, a registered nurse working in Cumbria, was already suspended from practising as a nurse by a Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) fitness to practise committee over misconduct and lack of competence.

But the NMC decided she should be struck off the medical register altogether to prevent her from practising in the future, following a further hearing last week.

The council heard Ms George, believed to be originally from India, failed to recognise a dead patient did not require their observation to be taken and told a colleague: “If I disposed of my passport that has my visa attached, and not declare, they would not know, I would have to stay in the country because of no passport.”

Ms George had lost her medical registration to work after being suspended in August 2024 after a series of NMC findings about her work and the standards of knowledge, skill and judgment required to practise without supervision between 2021 and 2022.

The NMC findings included Ms George shouting out: “He is having a stroke!” and, on another occasion, discovering that a patient was deceased, saying in a loud voice: “It’s my observation that the patient in bed five is dead.”

Other findings by the NMC fitness to practise panel included a lack of knowledge about medicines, failing to pay attention to colleagues during handover, failing to take proper medical notes, failing to check medical records, failing to check patients’ identities and mixing up different patients’ medical notes.

In a ruling, the NMC said Ms George had not engaged with the body after her initial suspension or demonstrated any insight into her failings.

The NMC ruling ended: “The panel therefore concluded that the only sanction that would adequately protect the public and serve the public interest was a striking-off order.”

The striking-off order will take effect upon the expiry of the current suspension order on September 25.

The decision will be confirmed to Ms George in writing.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.