Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Folau trial to resume on Tuesday, no quick decision expected

FILE PHOTO: Rugby Union - England v Australia - Twickenham Stadium, London, Britain - November 24, 2018 Australia's Israel Folau runs in to score their first try REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo/File Photo

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australia fullback Israel Folau's code of conduct hearing is unlikely to produce a decision on Tuesday after it resumes at 10:00 a.m local time (0000 GMT) in Sydney, Rugby Australia said on Monday.

Folau, a fundamentalist Christian, faced a three-member panel on Saturday and Sunday at the hearing to decide whether he breached RA's code of conduct with a social media post that said 'hell' awaited 'drunks, homosexuals, adulterers' and others.

The closed-door hearing will resume at the offices of law firm Herbert Smith Freehills in Sydney, RA said in a statement.

"The panel is not expected to deliver its decision tomorrow," it said.

RA and Folau's Super Rugby side, the New South Wales Waratahs, have already publicly committed to terminating the player's contract and last month served the 73-test back with a 'high-level' breach notice.

That said his social media post had 'disrespected' people on the basis of their sexuality in breach of his contract and Rugby Australia's inclusion policy.

Folau's trial has stretched far beyond the rugby pitch, triggering a wider debate about freedom of speech and the power of employers to control their employees away from the workplace.

(Reporting by Ian Ransom; Editing by Sudipto Ganguly)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.