Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
National
Guardian staff and agencies

Flood evacuations ordered at Daly River in Northern Territory

Northern Territory police were called to recover a vehicle washed away near Santa Teresa on 21 December. Heavy rains across the Northern Territory have caused flooding and cut off communities.
Northern Territory police were called to recover a vehicle washed away near Santa Teresa on 21 December. Heavy rains across the Northern Territory have caused flooding and cut off communities. Photograph: Northern Territory police

Severe flooding associated with a storm system affecting the Northern Territory has triggered the evacuation of Daly River and warnings for other areas.

The flood situation in the Daly River region was intensifying, the Territory government said on Saturday, as it approved an evacuation order for the community.

There were 434 people to be evacuated to Darwin, via Wooliana School and Batchelor. The evacuation began on Saturday and was expected to be complete on Sunday.

“Rain is continuing to fall in the Top End as a result of the slow-moving tropical low,” Commander Bruce Porter said. “We are also keeping a close eye on catchments in the Katherine region and McArthur River. The cyclone watch remains active between Point Roper and the Queensland border.

“A minor flood warning has been issued for the Katherine river at Gorge Road.”

Emergency services director Andrew Warton urged people to exercise extreme caution around floodwaters, including crossings, drains and pipes.

The Bureau of Meteorology predicts that the flooding events could last four to five days.

The low-pressure system dumping heavy rain over the Top End had been forecast to move east over the Gulf of Carpentaria and intensify into a category one cyclone. But Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Julian de Morton told AAP it was less likely the low would pass over the gulf.

“It’s looking more and more likely that it will probably stay over land, tracking more southward,” de Morton said. “If it does form a cyclone it will be a short-lived cyclone.”

The state’s north has been pummelled by severe thunderstorms, heavy rainfall, flash flooding, pounding surf and strong to gale-force winds, with gusts of up to 90km/h.

A severe weather warning was issued for the Daly, Tiwi, Arnhem, Carpentaria and Gregory districts early on Saturday.

De Morton said monsoonal conditions driven by the east-moving low would begin to affect northern and north-west Queensland from Sunday.

Australian Associated Press contributed to this report

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.