Critics of the proposals for Balloch’s West Riverside development have stepped up efforts to thwart the plans ahead of a decision deadline.
The Lennox Herald revealed last week that national park planning chiefs will visit the site the day before their September 24 D-day.
Now MSP Ross Greer, who launched the online portal which attracted more than 55,000 objections to the lochside plans, says there are just two months left to save Loch Lomond.
Balloch family open hearts on massive gap in lives 10 years after teen's death
The battling Green made the remarks after welcoming Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Authority’s decision to give “ample notice” of the Balloch-based public hearing, rather than the two weeks enshrined in statute.
He has called for Flamingo Land owner Gordon Gibb to ditch plans for the site and walk away from the heavily-contested development.
Greens MSP Ross urged Mr Gibb to stick to his September 2016 pledge that “if our plans are not welcomed by most of the people in Scotland then we will not proceed further.”
This call has also been backed by Alannah Maurer of the Save Loch Lomond group, who are also vociferously opposed to the plans tabled by Gibb’s consortium and Scottish Enterprise.
Under the blueprint, lodges, a hotel, waterpark and brewery are amongst the structures set to be built if planners give the bid the green light.
Dumbarton animal shelter appeals for home to take in cuddly kitten
But Mr Greer said he still does not rest easy over the bid: “I’ve still got significant concerns about the hearing process, for which I’m awaiting a reply from the park authority.
“This is a massive development, whose own environmental impact assessment lists the risks to ancient woodland, protected species such as otters and squirrels, running and standing water and much more.
“The board must hear fully from experts in each of these specific areas before making their decision. To do that alone in a single day is a tall order, not to mention the council’s concerns about traffic congestion, the total incompatibility with the Local Development Plan, the issues with housing and many other topics which absolutely must be explored before a decision is made.”
The politician highlights the fact that “99.88 percent” of submissions, have opposed the plans and called on National Park bosses to “consider how to balance the hearing to avoid giving the false impression that Flamingo Land has more than marginal support.”
The area’s Labour MSP Jackie Baillie said the message from the community on the Flamingo Land development is clear: “Residents of Balloch and the surrounding communities have made their voices heard on the proposed development by Flamingo Land Ltd. It is clear that there is a lot of opposition to the proposal and I hope that the concerns raised will be taken seriously when the application is considered.”
Free childcare for youngsters in Dumbarton and Alexandria
Protestors say they hope national park planners must take into account people’s schedules for the meeting.
She said: “This public meeting is of the utmost importance and I wonder when the national park are going to hold it and whether the scheduling will realistically allow the public to attend, particularly, to allow workers to attend.”
And she reiterated that the group believe it is the wrong development for the site, adding: “We are not anti-development, but we think the development has to be right for the site.
“We simply don’t believe this development is right for this site.”
We contacted Flamingo Land for a comment but they didn't respond.
For more local news, click here