Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Lorraine Weir

Flamingo Land latest: Communities again asked to give feedback on £40m development plans

A new round of consultation is due to open on plans by Flamingo Land for a £40million development at Loch Lomond as opponents say they have upped their publicity game.

However Ross Greer of the Scottish Greens who led a campaign against the development which led to withdrawal of plans back in 2019 says his party are responsible for a change in planning which will put communities and the local environment first as opposed to those involved in big business.

Meanwhile business chief Damon Scott says he is pleased the firm is taking concerns such as traffic, jobs and local enterprises seriously through engagement exercises on the West Riverside proposals.

Developers for the Lomond Banks site will meet face-to-face with the community later this month in a bid to shape their plans which they say they hope to submit in February next year.

Jim Paterson who is the development director for the project, said: “The level of engagement and support from the local community during the first round was incredibly encouraging and very useful as we move our plans forward. Our vision is to create a sustainable world-class visitor experience here at Lomond Banks, one in which the local community and businesses of Balloch can be proud.”

We previously reported how, during a virtual Q&A session how a development boss admitted the last proposal which was withdrawn after being recommended for refusal chiefs at Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park wasn’t right.

Gary McGregor said: “We’ve had a go at this in 2017. We wholly admit we didn’t get the public consultation correct, we didn’t get the proposals correct and we have made some pretty substantial changes as a result.”

The plans which are being consulted on show no development on Drumkinnon Woods, reduced building at the Pierhead and less development of Woodbank House.

Ross Greer (centre) has campaigned strongly against the plans. (Lennox Herald)

But Ross Greer who represents the West of Scotland remains sceptical.

He said: “Flamingo Land have certainly upped their PR game from their disastrous first attempt, but badging their plans as ‘sustainable’ will not pull the wool over the community’s eyes.

"Thanks to the Greens, Scotland’s approach to planning is changing to give greater protections for places like Loch Lomond. The interests of communities and the local environment will no longer be a poor second place to those of companies seeking to profit from our world famous natural landscapes.”

Chief executive of Dunbartonshire Chamber of Commerce, Damon Scott meanwhile welcomed steps to further engage with communities.

Damon Scott of Dunbartonshire Chamber of Commerce. (Lennox Herald)

He said: “It is encouraging to see that the areas discussed have been incorporated into the updated plans and this next phase of consultation will give the business community another important chance to review and feed in.

“A number of the priorities highlighted by the business community continue to be given prominence including commitment to local enterprises, traffic, transport, jobs and training to create significant economic impact.”

The online portal at www.lomondbanks.com will open from Monday, November 22 and the face-to face event has also been arranged and will take place on Thursday, November 25 from 2pm to 7pm at Lomond Parish Hall, Balloch.

You can register for the event on the website.

For more local news, click here

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.