Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Paul Weaver

Five things we learned from the F1 Monaco Grand Prix

Dutchman Max Verstappen of Scuderia Toro Rosso departs from the F1 Monaco Grand Prix
The Dutchman Max Verstappen of Scuderia Toro Rosso departs from the F1 Monaco Grand Prix. Photograph: Peter J Fox/Getty Images

1. Dignity in despair

Lewis Hamilton has not only mastered the twisty street of Monaco – where he has not won since 2008 – but also his own temper. There was a maturity about his dignified reaction to his utter despair following his failure to win on Sunday we have not seen in the past. This is partly to do with his age, for he was 30 in January, but it also has something to do with a new serenity since he took his second world title last year. You still would not bet against him doing something daft in the future. He can still be impulsive but he is much more grown-up these days.

2. Max Verstappen is a future world champion

OK, the 17-year-old caused the crash that turned the grand prix upside down when he banged into the Lotus of Romain Grosjean, and Hamilton will not thank him for that. But before then he had put in the drive of the day, Hamilton included. He also bumped into the other Lotus, belonging to Pastor Maldonado, before overtaking him with a slick move. He was then hit by a 31-second pitstop that dumped him from eighth to 13th before battling back into the points. He is destined for a move to one of the bigger teams within the next three years.

3. The F1 strategy group is hopeless

Bob Fernley, the ever impressive Force India deputy team principal, called it right on Friday when he said it was not fit for purpose – and he should know, he sits on it. The strategy group, made up of the bigger teams, plus the F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA, pontificate about many things, except what really matters to the sport. Its headline announcement when it met 11 days ago was a return to refuelling. It won’t happen because it’s too dangerous and expensive, and it makes racing even more predictable than it already is. Even if the group comes up with a good idea – and it never does – it has to be confirmed by the F1 commission and the world council. So let’s get rid of it now.

4. Sergio Pérez is better than many thought

When McLaren got rid of Pérez his future in F1 looked bleak. There were many who questioned his ability to knuckle down and work properly within a team. This season he has outscored his impressive Force India team-mate, Nico Hülkenberg, and in Monaco he did not make a mistake on one of F1’s most demanding circuits. We now know Pérez belongs in this fiercely competitive environment.

5. At least the drivers care

Formula One is often accused of not caring enough for its supporters, which may explain why crowds and TV audiences are in decline. So it was uplifting to see drivers launch their own fan survey. The two-week study has been organised by the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association, whose chairman, Alex Wurz, said: “We want to know what the fans think.” Jenson Button, a GPDA director, said the fans’ views are “important”.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.