Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Health

First two Ebola cases confirmed in Congo's South Kivu: officials

FILE PHOTO: A woman and child wait to receive an Ebola vaccination in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, August 5, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner/File Photo

GOMA, Congo (Reuters) - A woman and her child were the first two cases confirmed with Ebola in Congo's South Kivu region this week, opening a new front in the fight against the outbreak.

Health officials said on Friday that the latest cases were more than 700 km (430 miles) south of where the outbreak was first detected.

Ebola has killed at least 1,900 people in Democratic Republic of Congo over the past year. This is the second biggest toll ever and militia violence combined with local resistance have made the outbreak harder to contain.

FILE PHOTO: The Congolese government's Ebola response coordinator, Jean-Jacques Muyembe, and Pierre Kangudia, Minister of State for Budget and Interim Health Minister, visit the new MSF (Doctors Without Borders) Ebola treatment centre in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, August 6, 2019.REUTERS/Baz Ratner/File Photo

The 24-year-old woman had been identified as a high-risk contact of another Ebola case in Beni, more than 700 km north, last month, according to a government statement issued on Friday.

She traveled by bus, boat and road with her two children to Mwenga, in South Kivu, where she died on Tuesday night, according to a slide from a presentation by health officials.

The woman had been vaccinated, the slide said. The Ebola response team, headed by the Congolese government, identified 120 contacts and vaccinated 20 on Thursday, the slide showed.

FILE PHOTO: An ambulance waits next to a health clinic to transport a suspected Ebola patient, in Goma in the Democratic Republic of Congo, August 5, 2019.REUTERS/Baz Ratner/File Photo

The latest cases show the difficulty of containing the latest Ebola outbreak, which has continued to spread in eastern Congo despite the deployment of a highly effective vaccine.

Last month, it reached the region's largest city of Goma, home to nearly two million people on the Rwandan border.

Ebola treatment centers have repeatedly been attacked by armed militiamen and disgruntled locals, hampering efforts to contain the epidemic in the conflict-ravaged east.

(Reporting by Djaffar Al-Katanty,; Writing by Anna Pujol-Mazzini,; Editing by Edward McAllister and Stephen Powell)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.