Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Jasper Lindell

First case linked to Sydney but authorities unsure how virus got to ACT

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman, who says people need to feel safe coming forward for testing and contact tracing. Picture: Elesa Kurtz

A cluster of COVID-19 cases in the ACT has been linked to the outbreak in Greater Sydney, but health officials say they are not yet certain how the virus returned to the territory.

The ACT recorded one new case of Covid in the community to 9am on Saturday, a close contact of a previously reported case.

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said Saturday was a good news day for Canberra.

"But we've got a lot of testing still to get through. I'm pleased that we locked down when we did. It was definitely the right decision and has clearly reduced the risk to our community," Mr Barr said.

"If this continues, where we have very high levels of testing and we continue to get low case numbers that are close contacts and we're able to isolate those people, then that is the very best public health response that we can put in place."

Mr Barr said it was still too early to make a decision on lifting the lockdown after seven days, but a decision would be made in advance of its current end date.

Genomic sequencing has confirmed the link between several cases in the Sydney outbreak and the first identified case in the ACT, who publicly identified himself as 27-year-old Cedric Nyamsi.

Mr Nyamsi said he had not left the ACT in three months and was actively trying to help ACT Health find the source of the infection.

The Commonwealth Games wrestler and nightclub bouncer took aim at people spreading a rumour that he picked up the virus after travelling to Sydney in breach of health orders, telling social media users to stop "talking shit about me".

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman said the public health investigation was ongoing and authorities were open to all potential options.

"I'm not 100 per cent confident of anything at the moment. All options are on the table. But I am comfortable that this case is linked to Greater Sydney and it has not come out of somewhere else, or out of that zone. Which is really good," Dr Coleman said.

Dr Coleman said the genomic sequencing did not shed any light on what part of Sydney the case was connected to.

"To be honest it won't make any difference to the public health response, so I'm not interested in pursuing that aspect," she said.

The Chief Health Officer said she was increasingly concerned with the public commentary, playing out predominantly on social media, about individual cases

"I think all of the ministers and myself have expressed a little bit of frustration with that, and we're really begging people. This is about keeping people safe," she said.

Dr Coleman also declined to say whether the new Covid case announced on Saturday was linked to the first identified case or the case of a 14-year-old student at Gold Creek school in Nicholls.

"The new case today is definitely a close contact of an existing case, so that's reassuring. ... This case is hot off the press and I want to make sure everyone who needs to be notified is notified before then," she said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.